Staple Evening Dresses | Sophisticated, Sexy, Glam & Classic



If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter I’m sure you’re all aware that my dad is currently visiting the UK from Australia and over the past few weeks, I’ve been spending lots of time with him in various locations around the UK. This weekend just gone was spent in Liverpool and Manchester and the weekend before that was spent in Newcastle, Edinburgh and York so it’s safe to say I’ve been a very busy lady. 
The fun isn’t over yet either as I’m finishing work for a long weekend on Thursday and heading down to London to enjoy some sightseeing before he jets back to Australia on Saturday (boo!). On Thursday evening we’re heading to Gordon Ramsay’s famous restaurant ‘The Savoy’ and I couldn’t be more excited – it’s a very upmarket place and I hear the food is exceptional so I can’t wait to see if it lives up to the hype. I’m also very excited to get glammed up for the occasion as it’s a good excuse to wear a nice dress. I’ve never been before but I can imagine it’s the kind of place where all the women look perfectly polished and the men are suited and booted.

After spending slightly more time trawling through dresses on the internet than I'd like to confess, it got me thinking about 'staple' evening dresses (and the shoes to match - of course!) that would be great to have to hand if a special ocassion were to arise such as a fancy dinner, a formal/prom/graduation or even just a sophisticed night out with friends. I absoloutely love all the ones I've picked and each of them have a different look - sophisticated, sexy, glam and classic. They're all timeless pieces and if I had the money, I'd be buying them all, shoes included, without hesitation!

Starting from the left I picked this navy pencil dress from Little Misstress which is a great brand for evening wear as they have a huge range of formal dresses. This one inparticular stood out to me because of the sheer sleeves and beautiful embroidery. Its very different to anything else I've seen and I think it'd look really sophisticated paired with these nude Kurt Geiger stilletos. Next up is this red strapless dress from River Island and as soon as I saw it, I fell in love. Its quite a sexy dress due to the vampy red colour and sleeveless style but because its not super short, I think it'd still look very classy. Pairing it with these Fashion Union strappy sandals (which are a total dupe for a Zara by the way), an up-do and a slick of red lipstick. Sexy but still sophisticated!

Next up is the glitz and glam look of the bunch - the one with a bit of sparkle. Miss Selfridge are known for their beaded/sequin dresses and this cream and gold 30's feel dress is just beautiful for a special ocassion. It isn't something you'd wear on a regular night out and that's why its so great - it stands out from the crowd and has a definite 'wow' factor. As the dress has so much going on, I thought it'd look lovely with these simple strappy sandals from Mango as the gold strap ties in with the dress nicely. I also think it'd look absoloutely gorgeous with simple hair and makeup to let the dress do the talking! 

Finally I chose this classic LBD - the staple dress that every girl needs in her evening wear wardrobe. This one is from Topshop and I simply adore the eyelash lace detailing around the neckline - it turns a simple plain black dress into something a bit more special. To add a pop of colour, I thought these vibrant sandals from Karen Millen would be perfect but you could also wear it with some simple black or nude shoes if you wanted to keep things simple.
So there we have it, the staple evening wear wardrobe curtosy of Little Mistress, River Island, Miss Selfridge and Topshop. I could have picked way more dress and shoe combos (its SO much fun) but these were my favourites - with these four dresses sitting in your wardrobe, you'd be prepared for any ocassion!!
Which of these looks is your favourite? Are you a sophisticated, sexy, glam or classic kinda girl?

Lots of love,


**collaboration with Little Mistress. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment